Monday, April 30, 2007

Just So You Know... About My Baby's Mama

Upon reflection regarding my last post I realized it could be construed as me suggesting I believed in laziness and evading responsibility, and getting out of promises to yourself and others. First of all, that post was largely humor but I don't want to send an underlying message that I don't believe in. So, I clarify: my stance is that you should make promises to yourself that you can and will keep. Perhaps my own resolutions were made in light of the fact that an injury prevented me from accomplishing my goal of running the Chicago Marathon last year. I was very disappointed with myself when in reality I had no control over the situation.

In fact, I ran through this injury (apparently in such denial that it existed) to the point where I could no longer walk normally. The realization that this was not sustainable came when someone at work commented on the fact that I had been limping around for the past two weeks. I decided to take a short break from running. Months later, I was still limping and a year later I am still doing PT to hopefully be able to run again at some point. In fact, recently I have been able to run for 15 or 20 minutes at a time, a huge accomplishment which I am very proud of. Yet nothing compared to the hour or hour and a half runs I used to do. Although I had failed at my goal to run the marathon I realized that I had to accept that I had clearly (given my inability to walk normally for 5 months) given it my best effort. So, the point of that post was you should reach for the stars every day of your life, but be sure that if you fall short you don't consider it a failure. After all, the stars are pretty high up there!

2 comments:

I Got Nothing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
I Got Nothing said...

We all fear failure to some extent, but in order to acheive what we want, we all have to shoot for the stars and then, work our wy back down to earth.